In 1893, the Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society published an article in ‘Records of Buckinghamshire’ titled ‘Olney Church’. BAS has kindly allowed us to reproduce their article here. We have updated the 1893 article by adding further information and sources from the Cowper & Newton Museum Collection. What might the Church of
In 1893, the Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society published an article in ‘Records of Buckinghamshire’ which contained an image of a page from ‘The Monthly Review.’ It was of interest to the Society because on the page William Cowper had ‘marked his disapprobation’ to a critic’s comment in six lines of poetry.
The reinterment of the remains of the Rev John Newton and his wife, Mary Newton, took place at the church of St Peter & St Paul, Olney on the 25th January 1893. Many newspapers reported on this event, as did the Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society in their publication ‘Records of Buckinghamshire’.
Surprisingly, William Cowper owned and operated an electric shock machine, and used it to treat Mrs Unwin after her second stroke in 1792. It consisted of a large glass cylinder, a wooden disc and turning handle, a Leyden Jar, a ferocious-looking metal tube with spikes and knobs, as well as
We are delighted to accept a new and exciting donation of a manuscript letter from the private collection of Mike Rendell. The letter was left to him by his great aunt Annie, an eccentric character who lived in an early 20th century commune of goat farmers with a penchant for
The Road to Olney – The Cowper & Newton Story @ 250 We are often asked how William Cowper and John Newton came to meet up in Olney. So in 2017, the 250th anniversary of William taking up residence in Olney, we tracked back through all their correspondence and had
At The Museum
Amazing Grace & The Olney Hymns ‘to my dear friends in the parish and neighbourhood of Olney, for whose use the hymns were originally composed;…’ Did you know? ‘Amazing Grace’ was penned by the Rev John Newton during his time here in Olney. ‘Amazing Grace’ was originally titled ‘Faith’s Review and Expectation’ . It was published by John in
The Three Hares Gallery is located on the top floor of the Museum building and holds monthly exhibitions, it is now in a bigger, brighter space with state of the art CCTV security and direct stair access from our Shop. Since 2007 our exhibitions have included artists who work in watercolours, acrylics, oils, pastels, drawings,