Here we focus on a nineteenth-century lace bobbin. Or at least, we’ll start with one bobbin and then look at a few others. This will allow us to peep at the varied work – sometimes fancy, sometimes very basic – coaxed into being by the requirements of this simple lacemaking
A box, but a very special box. It is Cowper’s portable writing box, which opens up to become a miniature desk. This ‘writing slope’, to give it its correct designation, dates from around 1790. It was part of a collection of Cowper memorabilia that had passed by descent to the
In 1893, the Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society published an article in ‘Records of Buckinghamshire’ titled ‘Olney Church’. BAS has kindly allowed us to reproduce their article here. We have updated the 1893 article by adding further information and sources from the Cowper & Newton Museum Collection. What might the Church of
Today we casually toss away our used tissues into a waste bin. If you lived in Georgian times handkerchiefs and their flirty language were the height of fashion. Handkerchiefs were both an ostentatious demonstration of wealth and a means of communicating with the person of your desire. So how did
Here we look at two rings in the museum collection which date from the mid-eighteenth century and are said to have belonged to William Cowper. We also discuss the romantic nuances associated with them. The seal ring The cameo ring Both rings came to the museum from descendants of the
In 1893, the Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society published an article in ‘Records of Buckinghamshire’ which contained an image of a page from ‘The Monthly Review.’ It was of interest to the Society because on the page William Cowper had ‘marked his disapprobation’ to a critic’s comment in six lines of poetry.
The reinterment of the remains of the Rev John Newton and his wife, Mary Newton, took place at the church of St Peter & St Paul, Olney on the 25th January 1893. Many newspapers reported on this event, as did the Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society in their publication ‘Records of Buckinghamshire’.
The counterpane in Cowper’s bedroom is made of cotton, and was finished in about 1790. It was made for him by one of his female admirers, a Mrs King of Pertenhall, near Kimbolton, Bedfordshire. The backcloth is of ‘tabby weave’ (a simple ‘over and under’ weave) and is undyed. To
The most detailed account of Cowper’s pet hares is contained in a letter he sent to The Gentleman’s Magazine. It was published in the June 1784 issue, and listed rather prosaically on the contents page as ‘Unnoticed properties of the Hare’. (In the same issue is a description of ‘Experiments
Our examination of this small bottle prompts reflections on perfumes, herbal remedies, gardening and the English weather. It was given to Wordsworth after Cowper’s death. The Wordsworth connection William Wordsworth (1770-1850) admired Cowper’s work, and was influenced by it. In a letter of 22 December 1814, he wrote: ‘…with the
At The Museum
Amazing Grace & The Olney Hymns ‘to my dear friends in the parish and neighbourhood of Olney, for whose use the hymns were originally composed;…’ Did you know? ‘Amazing Grace’ was penned by the Rev John Newton during his time here in Olney. ‘Amazing Grace’ was originally titled ‘Faith’s Review and Expectation’ . It was published by John in
The Three Hares Gallery is located on the top floor of the Museum building and holds monthly exhibitions, it is now in a bigger, brighter space with state of the art CCTV security and direct stair access from our Shop. Since 2007 our exhibitions have included artists who work in watercolours, acrylics, oils, pastels, drawings,