[The following is a shortened version of an article by Dr C.M.Rider, Archivist to the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple, which first appeared in The Inner Temple Yearbook 2003/4, pp30-32. It is reprinted by kind permission of the author.] When William Cowper’s first volume of poems was published by Joseph Johnson of St. Paul’s
The predecessor to The Cowper and Newton Journal was The Cowper and Newton Bulletin.
Published in 8 volumes from 2002-2009, it contained museum news in each issue as well as one or more full-length scholarly articles and shorter notes.
Below is an index of these which can be used to locate the full article.
Articles published in The Cowper and Newton Bulletin Vols. 1 to 8
In 1876, George Herbert and William Cowper were jointly memorialized on a window in St. George’s Chapel in Westminster Abbey2 . This placement of the portraits of ‘Herbert at Bemerton, and Cowper at Olney’ side by side seems natural given their shared history as students at Westminster school and Cowper’s high regard for Herbert’s spiritual